Tommy from Shimano shows us the newest addition to the XTR Dyna-Sys drivetrain, the RD-M985 Shadow Plus rear derailleur. The Shadow Plus feature provides a selectable pivot for the pulley cage that can use a heavier spring and increased pivot friction to counteract the forces of up and down chain momentum in rough terrain. The chain bouncing can often cause noise as the chain slaps the top and bottom of the chainstay, or even cause the chain to derail from the front ring in extreme circumstances. The new pivot when selected to the “ON” position dampens the cage and consequent chain movement for a nearly silent and stable riding experience. In the “OFF” position the derailleur will function like a standard Shadow rear derailleur and eases the installation and removal of the rear wheel by relaxing the spring tension on the cage.
- Dyna-Sys specific cable-pull for (HG-X) 10-speed mountain drivetrain compatibility
- Shadow design +: low profile body and bracket to avoid chainstay and obstacle contact, with stabilizer switch to reduce chain drop and slap
- Aluminum B-attachment with a Top-Normal return spring optimized for RapidFire shifters
- Composite body with carbon/alloy cage for impact protection and reduced weight
- Wide link parallelogram design with 4 fluoric coated link pivot bushings increase rigidity while minimizing friction
- Aluminum/Carbon/Composite construction with sealed bearing 11-tooth pulleys
- Chain Wrap Capacity: 35t (Mid Cage); 41t (Long Cage)